“Defying the Odds”: A HALO Art Auction Benefiting Homeless Youth Feb. 24 and March 2Watch HALO Film Premiere Featuring HALO Youth Ziere with Special Video Guest Appearances by Oprah Winfrey, Nigel Barker and More Including Soulful Musical Performances by Chapel Hart, Tigirlily Gold and Caitlyn Smith
Kansas City, MO — HALO, a nonprofit that helps homeless and at-risk children around the world, is hosting its annual Art Auction fundraiser in person on Fri. Feb. 24, 2023 in Kansas City, Mo., AND Thurs., March 2 in Jefferson City, Mo., showcasing stories of HALO youth “Defying the Odds.” Guests who are not able to attend the two in-person events are encouraged to watch the Feb. 24 event live stream for FREE on HALO’s Youtube Channel @HALOEmpowersYouth at 7 p.m. CST. This is an action-packed night featuring entertainment, the HALO Documentary Short Film Premiere “Ziere”, and a live and silent auction. Special video guest appearances by Oprah Winfrey; Sophie Grace; Nigel, Cristen, Jasmine and Jack Barker; Chef Che Spiotta; Tamara Day; Mishay Petronelli; Pedro Saint Morillo; and Chef Lisa Dahl, and some more celebrity surprises.
For over 18 years, HALO has provided housing, healing and education to thousands of homeless and at-risk children around the world, with locations in the US, Mexico, India, Kenya and Uganda.
“Our work has become so critical with so many kids who are living on the brink of homelessness and are in dire need of support,” said HALO Founder and CEO Rebecca Welsh. “It’s a simple question - How do we reach more kids? We need more people to help. HALO is fueled by volunteers, and this year we are so proud to have so many wonderful actors, artists and musicians who are championing the creativity and artistic passions of our HALO youth and all lending their voices to help. Any donation can make a difference, big or small.”
Special musical performances include Caitlyn Smith, an award-winning songwriter hailed “captivating” by Forbes and named to Rolling Stone’s 10 country artists to know; Chapel Hart, inducted into CMT Next Women of Country prior to winning “International Group (And Song) of the Year” awards in Scotland, this soul filled trio recently wowed “America’s Got Talent” fans and music lovers around the globe. During Tigirlily Gold’s recent cross-country tour, the chart-topping country music sister duo visited HALO youth in Kansas City, Mo. giving an extraordinary encore HALO event performance.
Nineteen-year-old HALO Youth Ziere is featured in the HALO Short Film Documentary premiering at the Art Auction.
Welsh said, “Ziere’s story of resilience is one that will capture hearts around the world. He was born with a heart defect and doctors told his young mother he would not make it but for a few days. Ziere didn’t talk until age 3 and walk until age 4. He survived countless surgeries during his childhood and was called a ‘walking miracle.’ Ziere was never allowed to play sports because of his condition, but it remained one of his dreams.”
Ziere was brought to the HALO Boys Program that focuses on providing the foundation of a family for children without one. Through mentorship, tutoring, and connections to community resources, boys in the program are given a chance to reach their full potential. As part of the Boys Program, HALO started its first AAU Basketball team in 2021 called HALO Heat. This team is for kids with all different abilities, many of whom have never had the chance to play on a sports team.
“Ziere was thrilled when he was invited to be part of the team,” Welsh said. “He suited up for every game and although he could only play for a minute or two at a time, the entire gym would light up when he played in a game. Ziere became an instant HALO super star on the court.”
Ziere said his proudest moment was winning a third-place medal in one of the tournaments. He and the other boys at HALO have formed a brotherhood that is much like a family, and it has been their safe-haven through tough times.
Welsh shared, “Ziere had a difficult year. His mother passed away unexpectedly in 2021, which has been absolutely heartbreaking for him. Ziere continues to defy the odds. In 2022, he was hospitalized with COVID-19 and survived. Ziere will soon be placed on a heart transplant list. Through it all, Ziere continues to be the brightest light in any room, bringing hope and laughter to everyone around him. It is our goal to shower Ziere with love and share his story with the world so that others can be inspired by his positive energy.”
ABOUT SPECIAL VIDEO GUESTS APPEARANCES:
***Please note: Auction items donated by Special Guests are only available for the Feb. 24 in-person and livestream event.
- Oprah Winfrey: Talk show host, media executive, actress, author, and philanthropist. Winfrey will deliver an inspirational message to HALO youth Ziere and donated some of her fabulous favorite things for the Auction.
- Sophie Grace, 16: Emmy Award Winner for her role as Kristy Thomas on Netflex "The Baby-Sitters Club”. She is HALO’s first ClubHALO Ambassador for kids, and will host the evenings special musical performances segment.
- Nigel, Cristen, Jack and Jasmine Barker: TV Personality, Photographer and Creative Director Nigel Barker, his Dancer and Yogi wife Cristen, Artist son Jack, and Model daughter Jasmine have donated several of their stylish family’s Favorite Things, including a two-night stay at a phenomenal art filled hotel and a marvelous dining experience in Chicago.
- Chef Lisa Dahl: “When you cook with love, you feed the soul” says the multi-award-winning chef and culinary queen of Sedona. Dahl has donated dining experiences to her exquisite art filled restaurants, autographed cookbooks that are works of art themselves and MORE in a food lover's dream package.
- Mishay Petronelli and Pedro Saint Morillo: Petronelli is a professional dancer, teacher, choreographer, movement coach, model and actor. Morillo is an actor, breakdancer and motivational speaker. Together, they have donated a private Zoom dance and acting experience.
- Chef Che Spiotta: The Master Chef Junior Season 7 Winner donated a zoom cooking class and will share his cooking and kitchen tips with the winning bidder and five of their friends.
- Tamara Day: Interior Designer and Host of Magnolia Network's Bargain Mansions, Day donated artwork by Lorra Kurtz, as seen on Bargain Mansions.
- Tigirlily Gold: Singing “Somebody Does” a song that rocketed to number one on the iTunes all genre charts on release and another original song, this dynamic sister duo have opened for Grammy winner Ashley McBryde, Walker Hayes and many more. In addition to stopping by and singing and giving songwriting tips to youth at the HALO Kansas City Learning Center, they donated tickets and a backstage meet and greet to an upcoming concert.
- Chapel Hart: This spectacular trio has found a way to gift wrap their Mississippi roots and Louisiana spunk and recorded a special song for HALO from their tour bus amidst their “Glory Days” tour. The band has donated tickets and a backstage meet and greet to any of their upcoming tour stops.
- And a few more surprises including coveted tickets to several major concert events! Register to bid Feb. 24 on silent auction items, instabuys, raffles and to view these exclusive live auction packages at www.haloworldwide.org/halo-art-auction. The Live Auction bidding requires in-person attendance. Not attending in person, but still want to participate in the live auction? Email [email protected] to place your maximum bid, and HALO will bid on your behalf.
There are three ways to participate by registering at www.haloworldwide.org/halo-art-auction/:
- Attend in-person on Feb. 24 at 6 p.m. - 11 p.m. in Kansas City, Mo. at Hotel Kansas City. Honorary Co-Chairs are Bill and Missy Love; and Trey and Rebecca Bowen.
- Watch the free live stream on Feb. 24 from the comfort of your home and host a HALO Watch Party with family and friends to make a big impact. Pre-show begins at 7 p.m. CST. Show begins at 7:30 p.m. CST.
- Attend in-person on March 2 at 6:30 p.m. - 11 p.m. in Jefferson City, Mo. at Capital Bluffs Event Center. Honorary Co-Chairs are Mike and Claudia Kehoe; and Kirk and Libby Farmer.
As featured on The CBS Evening News, the live and silent HALO auction boasts items from HALO youth, professional artists, businesses and individuals for almost 20 years. The Executive Producer Presenting Sponsor is Mariner Wealth Advisors.
HALO believes every child should have the foundation of a family. Since 2005, HALO has provided love in the form of housing, healing and education to heal homeless and at-risk children. Featured in the Moroccanoil INSPIRED film series, “American Spirit” of CBS Evening News, “Heroes Among Us” and “25 Women Changing the World” of PEOPLE magazine, “The Today Show,” Variety Magazine, and Oprah Daily, HALO serves over 3,000 children and supports 15 programs around the globe each year. It has Learning Centers and Housing programs in Kansas City, and Jefferson City, Missouri, and art programming in New York and Portland. HALO also supports orphanages and programs in Uganda, Kenya, Mexico and India. Learn how Love Heals at HALO and help one more child spend one less day alone at www.haloworldwide.org.
If interested in interviewing HALO Founder Rebecca Welsh, please contact [email protected]
Online Media Kit: Event photos, video and brand assets are available by contacting [email protected].
HALO Social Media Handles:
- Facebook: @HALOFoundation
- Twitter: @HALOFoundation
- Instagram: @haloempowersyouth
- Linkedin: The HALO Foundation
- YouTube: @haloempowersyouth (Event is FREE to watch Feb. 24)
Event Tag: #HALOArtAuction