HALO’s life skill for April is time management, and we were lucky enough to have Jefferson City Mayor Carrie Tergin squeeze us into her schedule to speak at our monthly staff meeting and tell us the secret to wearing many hats.
Tergin has been the Mayor since 2015, and before that she served six years on the Jefferson City, Mo. City Council. She also owns and manages the only Hallmark store in town, a legacy passed down from her parents. When she’s not running the city and her family-owned store, she enjoys making art and donates her work to the Jefferson City ArtReach Auction every year. Tergin is a great example of how to manage responsibility while still making a meaningful impact on the community.
Tergin told us, “It’s more than what a calendar says,” so here are some great time management tips from her:
- Set your goals
- Form a team – no one can do it alone!
- Take the initiative. Opportunities do not happen on their own, create them!
- Take care of your physical and mental health
- You’ll get what you put out, so put out good
- Be thankful for what you have so you don’t get overwhelmed by negativity
- Learn to say no to stuff that doesn’t help you reach your goals
- Ask for help!
If interested in serving as a Life Skill speaker, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.